Once I caught a glimpse of the Chanel Spring 2013 Haute Couture show look, I knew I just had to re-create it. This is obviously not a typical FOTD as I would not leave my house wearing this type of makeup (unless I was going to a masquerade ball), but the gothic lace lashes that adorned the models made such a dramatic and strong look, that for an afternoon I wanted to pretend I was one of them, walking in Karl Lagerfeld's ethereal fashion show.
This look may not appeal to everyone, but it was certainly fun to recreate. I believe makeup should enhance your best self, but I also feel that you should have fun with makeup, letting your creativity run wild. I didn't have any lace to cut up to make false lashes, so I had to be creative.
I started with a grey cream shadow base and layered a graphite-colored pencil on top. To blend the two, I used a MAC 282 brush. I used my Chanel Stylo Yeux waterproof pencil in Noir Intense (which was also used in the show) to heavily rim my upper and lower lash lines and to also draw the base for my interpretation of the lace lashes. If you look at the model's eyes in the first picture, you'll notice that there's a bit of an ombre effect to the lashes, with more lace at the base to create a darker foundation. To create the lighter outer edges, I first used my Maybelline liquid eyeliner which has a very fine tip to create hash marks to mimic the netting of lace. I then lightly pressed a glittery, light grey MAC shadow over the hash marks to finish the ombre look of my "lace lashes."
To complete my look, I applied Chanel Joues Contraste in Frivole to the apples of my cheeks (also used in the show) and softly blended upwards to my temples. For a soft pink lip, I used my Burberry Lip Mist in Feather Pink.
- Face YSL Le Teint Touche Eclat Foundation
- Chanel Joues Contraste, Frivole
- Maybelline Color Tattoo, Tough as Taupe
- Sephora Nano eye pencil, Gri Gri
- Maybelline Eye Studio gel liner, Blackest Black
- Chanel Stylo Yeux Waterproof eyeliner, Noir Intense
- Lancome Color Design eyeshadow, It List
- MAC eyeshadow, Gentle Fume
- Maybelline Master Precise eyeliner, Black
- Tarte EmphasEyes brow pencil, Rich Brown
- Maybelline Colossal Volum' Express waterproof mascara
- Loujene false lashes, no. 01
- Burberry Lip Mist, Feather Pink
Thank you for stopping by to look at this non-traditional, editorial FOTD.
I had a lot of fun trying to recreate it. Come back soon for more wearable, everyday makeup looks. ;)